Thursday, January 31, 2008

Jeremy

I'm on the Amtrak #89 going south for weekend.

I’m sitting behind a caramel colored little boy. Jeremy is his name. Occasionally, he stands up in his seat to look back at me with a careless cascading mop of curly black hair and a sea of golden chestnuts where his eyes should be. I put my book down so that he has my full attention.

He starts to serenade me with his toddler version of Alicia Keys’ song “No One.” He closes his eyes and enthusiastically sings the chorus at the top of his little lungs “Ooh ooh Ooh oh Oh……..Ooh Ooh Ooh Oh Oh!”

I instantly fall in love.

His mother apologizes and says it’s his favorite song and tries to get him to stop to no avail. “It’s ok,” I say. “He’s adorable.” They get off the train in Richmond. As we pull off from the platform Jeremy waves goodbye. I notice they are carrying trash bags instead of luggage.

I stare out the window for the next 50 miles wondering what will become of him. I quietly hum my new favorite song as the passing of the trees mercifully lulls me to sleep.

5 comments:

Papier Girl said...

Awwww. So sweet--and a tad bit sad. Jeremy was like a good omen tho.

asabi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
asabi said...

A good omen
Of what you think?

Anonymous said...

funny how connections are made with children. So brief but yet so powerful.

Haute in LA said...

Things happen to the right people. Surely I would have been annoyed by sweet little Jeremy. Then I wouldn've felt guilty when I saw the garbage bags!

Great post. You are now on my list of favorites! Thx for the love on Much Ado...