Tuesday, January 29, 2008

OOOOO....I love ya!!!

Happy Happy Birthday to my dear Oprah!

Anyone who knows me well enough knows I love me some Oprah. I mean how can you not? She is a mogul, a philanthropist and a one woman empire.

Oprah Winfrey IS the American Dream! She is the coolest nouveau riche in the world. She is an incredibly good person, investing over 300 million to various charities including 40 million to open the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa. And while we all know Oprah loves the finer things in life, her embrace of materialism is totally matched by her embrace of spirit. For example, I learned the laws of the universe not in a physics class, but from The Secret, the Winfrey-endorsed self-help book, which taught me that wealth is just the byproduct of a successful soul. Critics of Ms. Winfrey's money are just negativists who don't understand how to manifest the positive.
Not only has Oprah changed the way America reads and values books but you can best believe "The Oprah's Book Club" seal on a book will lead to instant fame and bestseller status for any author. I am personally well on my way to reading every book on her list.

Currently, she is lending her A-list star power to Obama's campaign, drawing huge crowds that hopefully will translate into votes. Tens of thousands turned out for Winfrey's rally stops with Obama. In South Carolina, the turn-out was so overwelming that the campaign ran out of the 18,000 tickets originally available and moved it to the 80,000-seat University of South Carolina football stadium.

One of the most powerful women in the world, Oprah is both loved...and apparently hated. People will grasp at anything, it seems, to find fault with a woman who has lived the American dream, worked her way up from the bottom, and raised herself to the status of billionaire...and all this, despite her poor upbringing, despite her gender, despite her race.

She is a force to be reckoned with, a pioneer, a survivor. If only she would be Obama's running mate.....Then all would be right with the world!!!



I've come to believe that each of us has a personal calling that's as unique as a fingerprint - and that the best way to succeed is to discover what you love and then find a way to offer it to others in the form of service, working hard, and also allowing the energy of the universe to lead you. ~ Oprah Winfrey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is definitely a icon. I have the utmost respect for her and can only dream of having her courage and strength to attain my goals....Go Oprah! You are proof that success is a possibility. Thank you for being amongst us commoners just long enough to evolve into the now you. Excellent example, you have blazed the trail. We can do it Asabi....the path has been lit.

Anonymous said...

I pride myself on admiring "me" the most, but Oprah is one of two other humans I admire. You are right on, she is the American Dream. All of the strong, black, intelligent women -such as ourselves of course, strive to be just like her in one way or another. She is a true example of strength, patience, and God's grace.