Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Love Bites



And at the end of each new failed relationship I say this will be the last time!!! I'll just forgo all the headaches, disappointments and drama and get a cat. I guess this time the universe was listening….

Last week, Chyna went for a run and came back with a kitten.

A newly pregnant neighbor was looking to get rid of it and found a sucker in the form of a pet deprived child. Before I could get “oh hell to the naw!!!..” out of my mouth, she had a litany of reasons, promises, and pleadings flowing out of hers. I reminded her of the demise of her last kitten, Gypsy and how I had to give him away because she didn’t take care of him properly.

She reminded me that was over 3 years ago and that she "can’t show responsibility if I wont give her something to be responsible for" (imagine batting eyelashes and pouting lips). It was total bullshit but I gave her points for her efforts.

“But isn’t he adorable???” she kept saying…Of course he is….what kitten isn’t?? I just really didn’t want to deal with the potential mess, vet bills and scratched up furniture.

The neighbors were nice enough to send him with food and a litter box so I gave in and said we would keep him for one night, but he had to stay in her room and he was going back the next day. Chyna insisted on giving him a name but I would have no parts of it. Once you name it, you get attached and you’re less likely to give it away. I told her that’s how I ended up keeping her. She didn’t think it was funny.

So, one day turned into four days.. and by day five I was smitten. How could I not be? He IS the cutest kitten known to man. He does however derive great pleasure from playing evil ghost cat and jumping from various hiding places right onto your leg as you walk by.
He is a bad ass...but we love him.

So the kitty got a new home and finally a new name… Kaiser Soze
Chyna got a new pet and another chance to redeem herself and I got a much needed distraction and a reminder that love and joy comes in many forms.




“The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.” ~The Usual Suspects

2 comments:

kenn. said...

Three great things about this post - A kitten. Kaiser Soze. And the word "litany."

Papier Girl said...

I really enjoyed this entry...moreso now after having kitten sat the little monster. (I use the word "monster" as a term of endearment.)

And, yes he is cute...not the "cutest kitten known to man," as you say here...but he ranks fairly high...and slightly below Dante.

Anyways, tell the little bastard to never forget the kind soul who let him hold her remote control and nibble on her ankles.