Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day to Me

and to all the mothers out there.

A special congrats goes out to my girl Kim who just recently gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, Olivia Camille. Kim has honored me with the duty of being Olivia's Godmother (she obviously doesnt have many friends).

And while we are on the subject of having babies.

Most of my friends are coming into that time in their lives when they are having, wanting and/or obsessing over babies. And while I understand this baby fever in theory, I just dont have it. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate a cute baby just like any other wo(man). I ooh and ahh at the appropriate times when I am in their midst. Sometimes I even think about the minute details of what it would be like if I had one. Silly things like how I would decorate the nursery. Of course all baby lust diminishes when I'm in the company of a screaming toddler. Then I think about how glad I am that I dont have to go through that anymore. My child is almost a woman and I am finally at a point in my life where I can be a little more self-centered.

I'm not completely ruling out having another child but it would take an enormous amount of love for a great man or an act of congress to get me to reconsider. I have many thoughts, opinions and hangups about this subject and I'll share what I'm ready to share soon. In the meantime, I have to go buy a gift for yet another baby shower. It's a boy. Say it with me... awwwwwww....

4 comments:

rashad said...

A year ago I felt just like you in terms of kids, and then that great act of congress came...now i'm open to ONE more. that's it. i can't risk having a daugter

Papier Girl said...

obsessing-friend here! Just wanted to say--you should have ONE more. why not? I think (hope) that act of Congress will happen for you soon. I need a godchild.

p.s. i will say, you're lucky to have one kid out of the way...some of us don't even know if I'll uterus' will hold up when we're ready to use them.

asabi said...

ok, fine. just help me find a worthy enough father for your Godchild.

£ said...

aww your daughter is so pretty!

but why you gotta be braggin that she ain't a child no more? :)

oops don't mind me im having an obsessive emo moment. its like chubbs said...im worried that my uterus won't salute when called into action :/ lol