Thursday, May 1, 2008

Death..the ultimate "bad hair" day

I was going to post a long tirade about my bad luck lately. I was going to complain about having to pay $500 the other day to get a boot off my car for a ticket that I didn't even know I had. I was in the midst of putting up the streamers for my pity party when I got this text from my friend Dawn. "KAREN DIED TODAY". It knocked the wind out of me. Karen was Dawn's best friend. I had only met her once but kept up with her life though conversations with Dawn. She was 34 and died of "natural causes". I could feel the inconsolable sadness coming from her when she told me what happen. She was numb and quite frankly so was I. It's always shocking to find out someone you actually met, had brunch with and hugged good-bye is no longer alive. I guess its one of those "For Whom the Bell Tolls" moments.

It just put so many things in perspective. It goes without saying that having a loved one die is the ultimate "bad hair day". It tops boots on cars, immature arguments, job disappointments, "he's just not that into you" moments and whatever other insignificant issues we get ourselves in a tizzy about.

I know we all get those "corny" emails reminding us how life is short, how every moment is precious, how we should never miss a chance to tell the ones we love how much they mean to us. But its true. Stop putting it off...visit them, call them, write them, forgive them, hug them, kiss them, fuckin' commit to them already!!!!

And if you don't love them why spend another moment wasting your time or theirs? Because the next 5 years, the next 1 year, the next month, the next day isn't promised. Just ask Karen's 8 month old son.

4 comments:

Freakum Dresses said...

Ty here!!!
My Grandma died 2 1/2 years ago from cancer. The other day I was getting my daughter ready for school and she wanted her hair in ponytails. So I go get her barrett bag. I pull out the pink and white balls to match her outfit. My daughter sees these big purpel bows my Grandma bougth for her before she died. I kept them just because. My daughter wanted to wear them and my first instinct was to protest because she was not wearing purple and the bows were too fancy for mere school. But then I thought about one of those corny emails that you mentioned in your blog about days not promised. It was the email about the lady that was dying of cancer and talked about the china she didn't get to use or the candles she did not burn because she she was waiting for a special occassion. Well Life is a special occassion and going to school to learn is reason enough to get up in the morning and put beautiful purple bows in my daughter's hair. Grandma did not get to see her Great Granddaughter wear those beautiful bows. But I saw her in them and she felt beautiful and special that day. So I totally agree, enjoy life, wear the bows, wear the 3 inch red heels, tell that man how you feel. I totally agree with everything you said : )

£ said...

oh my goodness i'm so sorry.

i don't know your friend but i know her pain. I just lost my best friend a month ago.

and youre right, we should never miss a chance to tell our loved ones how we feel about them. You dont want to have to regrets because you held back. Thats the kind of pain that lingers a long time - and sometimes never goes away.

i wish you, your friend and her son the best. You all are definitely in my thoughts.

rashad said...

It never hurts to have a "put it all in perespective" moment every now and then.

asabi said...

awww Ty..good to see you are still lurking out there. yes girl put on those red heels and freakum dress. no time like the present. :)

Thanks for the comments Lex and Rashad. I read that story about your friend too.

I know that must have been heartwrenching for you. My prayers are also with you and his family too.