Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Breast Cancer Awareness Hijacked My Favorite Month



**Heavy sigh**

I don’t even know what this means really but I don’t like it. It’s just two examples of pop culture jargon mashed together to what? Bring “awareness” to Breast Cancer “month”. First of all, I have no plans of keeping calm when it comes to having breast cancer and second of all, “Pink is not the new black”, it is not cute or trendy. It’s painful, its life changing and in a lot of cases life ending. We are half way through October, affectionately known as "Pinktober" aka Breast Cancer Awareness month and I thought I should give my opinion on it all.

It’s an odd time for me as October has always been my favorite month. It’s the month that the leaves begin to change (which I love!!!!), I can start layering my favorite fall clothes and most importantly it’s my birthday month. In fact, I’ll be 40 tomorrow…yikes! It was MY month until I had to now and forever more share it with cancer awareness. Not awesome.

I’ve read some great blogs from other cancer survivors and most are on the same page about the demeaning commercialization of “Pinktober”. A lot of businesses are making a quick buck off the backs and empty chests of breast cancer victims without giving any of those extra funds to charities that are actually helping the ones that need it the most.

Don’t get me wrong. I love that my friends are doing their part to support me and sometimes just wearing a ribbon pin or wearing something pink in solidarity makes me feel great because I know the intention is pure. Hell, my Dad even shaved his very full head of curls just to show his support. I’ve also had other friends who vowed to do the same if I had to go through chemo and thank God that wasn’t the case because some of them would not remotely look good with a bald head.

So how can you really help?

There are lots of legitimate places that you can donate to. Below is a link to Charity Navigator and they give a list of organizations that do their best to utilize their funds to directly help prevent and find a cure for breast cancer

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=497#.Ul2JHVBea8U

If the spirit moves you and you would like to donate to my own site which has been helping me keep afloat financially during my own battle please check out my “giving angels” tab which has a donation link. I would have not made it this far without the generosity of my friends, family, workmates and even strangers.

Lastly, I think the most important thing you can do to support Breast Cancer Awareness is to not forget about us come November 1 because we will continue to be in the battle regardless of whether or not Pink is still the color du jour.

Love and Light,

Asabi

No comments: